Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Clean Eating Day 2

The plan's breakfast called for 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter (no salt added), 1/4 cup berries, and 1 cup skim milk with protein powder.

The bread I used was Ezekiel's and I only used 1 tbsp peanut butter. I always have jam with my peanut butter, so this was a little different for me.

In place of the milk and scoop of protein, I had a pre-made protein shake. This helped the peanut butter get unstuck from the roof of my mouth. Usually the jam stops this from happening. I'm still getting used to the taste of protein, so this was good, but the last few sips were tough to swallow.

Snack 1 of the plan called for an orange and 2 tbsp of hummus and raw veggies. I ate the orange as a snack, but I saved the hummus and carrots for with lunch.

The hummus was a store bought roasted red pepper. The plan's shopping list called for store bought hummus. Even cleaner eating would have been if I made the hummus myself.

For lunch the plan called for 6 ounces of tuna salad or mashed garbanzo beans, 4 stalks chopped celery, 1/2 medium sliced cucumber and 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers, over a bed of lettuce. I only had 1 stalk of celery and no chopped peppers. I also added some of the Simple Vinaigrette that the plan uses and I made last night.


The afternoon snack was a recipe included in the magazine for Nutty Maple-Cinnamon Bars. My husband loved these, but I think I would like them a little better with only 3 scoops of protein.
Recipe from page 76 of the current issue of Clean Eating magazine. Makes 6 bars.
Ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats
3 tbsp unsalted almonds (I used sliced almonds)
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp pure maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender process 1/2 cup rolled oats into oat flour. In a large bowl stir together prepared oat flour, remaining 1/2 cup rolled oats, almonds, protein powder, cinnamon and sea salt. Then add the remaining ingredients. Cut 6 squares of aluminum foil into 4 by 8-inch pieces. Lightly spray the interior with cooking spray. Spoon out equal amounts of the mixture into each piece of foil and roll them into a bar shape. Fold the ends over to prevent spillage. Bake bars on baking sheet for 16 to 18 minutes. Do not overcook. Mine were done in 15 minutes.

The plan's dinner called for a large mushroom salad: 1 large grilled portobello mushroom, mixed veggies, 3 oz seitan skewers, 1/4 cup low-sodium pinto beans, 1 tbsp Simple Vinaigrette (this recipe is in the magazine). I didn't have seitan, so I used a boca burger, which the plan allows for later in the week. I had 1/3 cup instead of 1/4 cup of pinto beans. My veggies were lettuce and cooked broccoli and cauliflower. The portobello mushroom was made on the Foreman Grill. I put some balsamic vinegar on the mushroom because I think grilling it without something on it makes it really dry out.


At the gym tonight I ran 3.1 miles and did some lower body weights. After the gym I had grapes like last night (not on the plan).

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Lookin' great!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's really cool that you're trying this out. :) It's fun to try new eating plans huh!

Anonymous said...

i bought the magazine too! how do like the recipes? i love the magazine, and want to make evrything in it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Yum, I love balsamic portabellas!

HangryPants said...

Looks like you're doing great. Thanks for the bar recipe, too!

Natasha said...

I have done several clean eating menus and have cooked a lot of their recipes. I find that sometimes the plans require a lot of things that I don't normally buy and can be expensive. However once you get the general idea, it's pretty simple to start making your own snacks and lunches to suit your lifestyle! I make my mom and I breakfast, two snacks, lunch and dinner every day!